PLNC8 beta peptide
Three letter code
Peptide Purity (HPLC)
Bacteriocins are antimicrobial peptides that are produced by most microorganisms that contribute their defence mechanisms. PLNC8 α and PLNC8 β are class II bacteriocins. Both L- and D-PLNC8 αβ caused rapid disruption of lipid membrane integrity and were effective against both susceptible and antibiotic resistant strains. The D-enantiomer was stable against proteolytic degradation by trypsin compared to the L-enantiomer. Of the truncated peptides, β1–22, β7–34 and β1–20 retained an inhibitory activity. The peptides diffused rapidly (2 min) through the bacterial cell wall and permeabilized the cell membrane, causing swelling with a disorganized peptidoglycan layer. Interestingly, sub-MIC concentrations of PLNC8 αβ substantially enhanced the effects of different antibiotics in an additive or synergistic manner. PLNC8 αβ is active against Staphylococcus spp. and may be developed as adjuvant in combination therapy to potentiate the effects of antibiotics and reduce their overall use. PLNC8 α and β are short peptides, composed of 29 and 34 amino acids, respectively, and show structural stability against heat and pH. Both PLNC8 α and β are membrane active on their own, but whereas more than 5 μM of PLNC8 α was required to induce substantial perturbation of lipid bilayer integrity in a liposomal model system, less than 0.1 μM PLNC8 β caused the same effects.
Ideally PLNC8 beta peptide should be stored in a freezer at or below -9C. PLNC8 beta peptide should be refrigerated after reconstitution. For more details, please refer to the manual:Handling and Storage of Synthetic Peptides
- Bengtsson, T. et al. (2020) Plantaricin NC8 u03b1u03b2 exerts potent antimicrobial activity against Staphylococcus spp. and enhances the effects of antibiotics. Scientific Reports. doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-60570-w.
About TFA salt
Trifluoroacetic acid (TFA) is a strong acid, which is commonly used to cleave synthesized peptides from solid-phase resins and is also used to improve HPLC performance in the peptide purification step. By default, custom peptides are delivered as lyophilized TFA salts, and can contain as much as 10-45% TFA.
TFA in custom peptides can cause inexplicable discrepancies in subsequent assay data. For instance, TFA in nM concentrations has been shown to interfere with cellular assays, inhibiting cellular proliferation in some instances, and increasing cell viability in others . It has also been found to be an unintended allosteric modulator of the glycine receptor, GlyR.
TFA Removal Service is recommended for:
- Peptides that will be used in cellular assays
- Peptides that will be used as APIs or in manufactured products
- For hydrophilic peptides containing numerous basic residues
- Analysed Sequence:H-SVPTSVYTLGIKILWSAYKHRKTIEKSFNKGFYH-Amidation
- Chemical Formula:C189H289N49O47
- Sequence length:34
- Extinction coefficient:9530 M-1cm-1
- Mw average:3999.6
- Theoretical pI:10.36
- Data Source:Peptide Property Calculator
GRAVY = grand average of hydropathy
Red: Hydrophobic uncharged residues, like F I L M V W A and P
Blue: Basic residues, like R K H and N-terminal -NH2
Green: Acidic residues, like D E and C-terminal -COOH
Black: Polar uncharged residues, like G S T C N Q and Y
Related Products / Services
• Peptide Services: NovoPro's peptide synthesis services include standard chemical peptide synthesis, peptide modification, peptide libraries, and recombinant peptide expression.
• Standard Peptide Synthesis: NovoPro offers quality peptides at the most competitive prices in the industry, starting at $3.20 per amino acid. NovoPro provides PepBox – Automatic Quote Tool for online price calculation.
• Peptide Modifications: NovoPro offers a wide range of peptide modification services including isotope labeling (2H, 15N, and 13C), multiple disulfide bonds, multiple phosphorylations, KLH, BSA, ovalbumin, amidation, acetylation, biotin, FITC, etc.
Please note: All products are "FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY AND ARE NOT INTENDED FOR DIAGNOSTIC OR THERAPEUTIC USE"